Ever had one of those moments when you realize how miserable you are because you've been staring at the mirror for a considerable amount of time? Well, I confess that "self-focus" reared it's ugly head, and I found myself rolling around in pride. The pride came in many forms. Seeking credit & pats on the back for deeds done. Fixating on hurt feelings. Craving to fulfill my own wants & desires. Putting my own agenda before others. Shall I continue? Because I sure could.
Countless times, the Bible warns us of these self-seeking tendencies. Focusing on ourselves makes us miserable because it's contrary to Christ's calling.
Philippians 2: 2-5 says "then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."
Wow, can I ever say that my attitude is the same as that of Christ Jesus?! That same love is the love that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."
What an awesome Father to forgive these selfish tendencies, to restore our souls, and to allow the Holy Spirit to speak these truths to us in love.
My prayer for all of us wives and mothers this week is that we may be seekers of His desires, not our own.
God bless your week!
cindi
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good stuff, Cindi-
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Lisa